Monday, July 31, 2006

Problems with Sharepoint Portal Server SP2

We had some issues after we applied the Sharepoint Portal server SP2 as part of the regular updates of microsoft. After this was applied, when we browsed to our sharepoint portal we got the following error

HTTP 500 - Internal server error

The problem seems to be that the SP does not get update properly and some fields in the configuration database of sharepoint do not get updated.

To fix the problem I ran the forceupgrade utlity using the stsadm utlity on the sharepoint server and that fixed the problem. Refer the following article for more details;EN-US;841216&FR=1

Moving Sharepoint portal server to a new physical machine

This worked for me, so no guarantee that it will be work for everyone, use this at your own risk.

Following is the scenario

Present Portal Server : http://oldserver
Various sites under it : http://oldserver/sites/library

New Portal Server : Newserver

New Portal Server : http://newserver
Various sites under it : http://newserver/sites/library

1) On the new server, install Windows 2003 with SP1 and install SQL 2000 with SP4.
2) On the new server install IIS 6.0 with
3) On the new server install Sharepoint portal server along with Knowledgelake components namely Mozingo Storage and Mozingo Imaging.For the installation process refer the documentation from Knowledge lake install procedure. Do not configure anything on the new server.
4) Note that you might encounter a problem with establishing the Microsoft Single-sign on feature. This is the error you might get, the resolution is shown below.
“Failed to connect to the database server. Verify connectivity and rights for the configuration account and try again.".
As it turns out ... this problem is due to Windows Installer 3.1 that happens to be installed when you apply Windows Server 2003 SP1 !The problem is fairly easily resolved however ... by manually tweeking a registry entry.
Find the ImagePath registry entry at the following location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ssosrv Remove the quotation strings from around the the ImagePath value ... and away you go.
The result of all this is that there is currently a KB being written that will outline the problem and the steps to fix it. Do it at your own risk.
5) On the old server run the Sharepoint Backup and Restore Utlity, it should be available under Programs
6) Take a backup of all available sites shown there, you will need to pick the parent one also. The backup will create one xml file which is supposed to be a manifest file.
7) Move the back-up files to the new server.
8) Now run the restore process from the new server, where you will ensure that the parameters are referring to the new server, if we do not do that we might actually restore it back on the old server which might be dangerous.
9) Once all the parameters are entered properly, restore all.
10) Once restore is done, you will notice that you might not be able to directly go the home site of the new server, for that you will need to remove the ‘Allow Anonymous access’ from IIS for that defualt site.
11) Once the above is done, this will copy all the created sites from the old server to the new server.
12) In case of Knowledge lake product, we will need to move the doclibary.config file from the old server to the new server, this will under C: /program files/…. This is the file which bascially allows the stripping of the datafiles from SQl and put’s it into a different folder. Please note that the server name will need to be changed in the config file.
13) Once the above is done, restart the Mozingo extension and the print spooler on the sharepoint server.
14) Then move the document folders physically from the old server to the new server, try to create the same share name, so that we will need not change much in the SQL server in the next step.
15) After the files have been moved there is a table in each of the library database called the ‘userdata’ where there is the reference to the folder location kept, we need to change that by a mass update, because there is no other way out for that.
16) Once the above is done, the library will be ready.
17) Once all the above is done, the next thing to do is to change the settings for the library on the scanning machine, i.e. where the spooler is installed. In the configure doc class, we need to change the library name to point to the right place.

Also we did the following, which I do not think is normally the case, but anyway we had to do because we were having some issues with the externalization of the storage.

We reinstalled the Mozingo components after we migrated namely the Web-services, web-part, the search definition and also the Mozingo Storage.